Recommended Resident Actions
- Strengthen the cripple wall (perimeter wall around your crawl space) on your single family home.
- Secure your mobile home to its foundation using approved methods.
- Secure or remove your brick chimney.
- Install a gas shut-off valve to prevent post-earthquake fires.
For renters and homeowners:
Recommended Local Government Efforts
- Ensure that residents stay safe in their homes by retrofitting single-family homes, mobile homes, and multi-unit residential buildings.
- Adopt a gas shut-off valve ordinance. Gas shut-off valves can prevent gas related fires after an earthquake.
- Become eligible for pre-disaster mitigation grants and ensure full FEMA disaster reimbursement by updating your Local Hazard Mitigation Plan consistent with your Safety Element.
- Building Official emergency response resources and guidance (CALBO)
- Top items a local government needs in place to launch effective community recovery.
- Recovery toolkit for local governments
- Model earthquake related ordinances from Bay Area cities and counties
- SPUR Resilient City
- Community Emergency Response Teams