Retrofit Professionals

Choose a category to learn about and find a professional contractor, engineer or home inspector near you.


Many owners of single-family homes can contact a contractor, rather than an engineer, to do the needed earthquake retrofit work on their home. ABAG does not endorse or approve individual contractors. However, you can find a list of contractors who have completed FEMA training for seismic retrofit of single family wood frame houses here. Before hiring a contractor, be sure to ensure that the contractor you choose is licensed and in good standing. You can check here. For more information about how to responsibly choose a contractor, please review What You Should Know Before Hiring a Contractor, developed by the Contractors State License Board.


All owners of residential buildings of more than four units should contact an engineer or other design professional, not a contractor, to design a retrofit.

Some owners of single-family homes should call an engineer or other design professional, rather than a contractor. The following are examples of conditions best examined by an engineer or other design professional.

  • Your home has three or more stories
  • Part of your home is supported by posts, not a wall
  • Your home has an unusual shape, is very long and narrow, or is shaped like an “L”
  • Your home has a two-car or larger garage with rooms above it, or is a “split-level”
  • Your home has a porch that is recessed under a second story
  • Your foundation is brick or is weak
  • Your home is almost touching an adjacent home
  • Your home has a two-car or larger garage with rooms above it, or is a “split-level”
  • Your home is on a steep hill
  • Your home has a cripple wall higher than 4 feet

ABAG does not endorse or approve individual engineers or engineering firms. The Structural Engineering Association of Northern California keeps a list of structural engineers who specialize in specific areas of structural engineering. Search for an engineer who specializes in seismic evaluation here. Please note: this list is not comprehensive but is representative of SEAONC members have paid to advertise “for hire” services on this list.

Home Inspectors

Are you in the process of buying a home? Trained home inspectors can often do more than merely check to see, for example, if there are no plumbing leaks! The following home inspectors have completed training for the seismic retrofit of wood-frame homes conducted by ABAG. They will recommend that you contact a contractor, engineer, or other design professional if they see a possible structural problem with your home.

Last updated: 03.24.2017